A quaint little town?

A quaint little town?

Postby Vagabond » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:32 pm

I went back to Haltwhistle last week. I was last there about 15 years ago, and it was looking very run down then. It was raining heavily, and I remember calling in to a cafe where I was served with a pot of very strong, warm tea that was well stewed and tasted awful - needless to say, I sent it back and crossed the road to the Railway Hotel, where I found some solace in a pint of bitter and and a cold mince pie (the microwave was broken).

In his book `Northumberland`(Methuen & Co, 1916) J. E. Morris describes Haltwhistle thus, "...may once have been a quaint little town - it would have been such c. 1858, when visited by Walker White. Unhappily of recent years the development of the small isolated coal field on the S Tyne, though it has not much injured the delightful country around, has utterly ruined the place itself: most people will do well to avoid it."

Strong words in 1916. Not being around then, I couldn`t possibly comment. However, I can give my opinion of the town at the present time after a laspe of 15 years. I shall do so in another post...
www.northumbria-walkingforum.co.uk

"Land of singing waters and winds from off the sea,
God, bring me to Northumberland, the land where I would be!"

W. W. Gibson.
Vagabond

Re: A quaint little town?

Postby admin » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:02 pm

i remember years ago when i started work i had to go to newcastle poly one day a week and met up with a lad who who used to come from haltwhistle, he used to tell me that they used to loose snowplows in the SUMMER up there nevr mind the winter
find your old school friends from northumberland and the rest of the UK at
http://www.myhometown-schools.co.uk
admin
Site Admin

Return to Haltwhistle